Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 42 and 43_Gothenburg and Mariestad

On Friday I had intentions of going to the Botanical Gardens, but the infamous Gothenburg wind and rain was the morning greeting.  The day was cold and dark and looked like January in California rather than late spring.  I decided to stay inside, tweak my lecture for next week, and work on a simple design for Michael and Andrea's garden.  Though I was content with the birthday celebration from my actual birthday, Michael and Andrea wanted a proper dinner that evening.  Nordgarden is a Michelin-rated restaurant in their town with fabulous food.  Lamb on a bed of risotto with kalamata olives and green beans was a memorable meal.  The Edstrom family has definitely wined and dined me for the week.  They have great South African wines in Sweden (which I have never seen in California) and I appreciate Michael and Andrea sharing them with me. 


We traveled to Mariestad on Saturday, having breakfast with Andrea's parents at their summer house.  Nestled on former agriculture land, the 1893 house is a welcome retreat for Andrea's family.  Last year, Andrea's father shot a moose on the property--and that was our dinner on Saturday night (with Vina Robles' Petite Syrah ((they have Paso Robles wines at their liquor store!))).  We spent most of the day at Sara's gymnastics meet for which she got a medal.  While the meet was interesting to watch, I couldn't understand a word from the announcer.  The numerous language changes during the past few weeks have become almost white noise since I rarely understand any of it.  I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for people to get around in the U.S. without English.

No comments:

Post a Comment